Objective: To determine the inverse of quadratic functions
- Type y = x in the input bar then press enter.
- Click the REFLECT button in the tool bar. Click point A and then the line y = x.
- Drag A. Describe the path of point A’. You can right click A’ and choose TRACE. What equation will describe the curve traced by A’?
- Explore the inverse of other quadratic functions. Click the REFRESH icon to restart construction then change the quadratic function by moving the slider, a.
- The graph traced by A’ is the inverse of the quadratic function. If someone will ask you what an inverse of a function is, what will you tell him/her based on this activity. Is the inverse of a function also always a function?
For ideas on how to teach inverse function, read my post What is an inverse function?
[iframe https://math4teaching.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/inverse_of_quadratic_function.html 700 650]