Objective: To determine the inverse of exponential functions
- Type y = x in the input bar then press enter. You may want to show the coordinates of A. Right click ->Object Properties -> Show Name and Value.
- Click the REFLECT button in the tool bar. Click point A and then the line y = x.
- Drag A. Describe the path of point A’. You can right click A’ and choose TRACE. What equation will describe the curve traced by A’?
- You can click the REFRESH icon to restart your construction. Change the exponential function by moving the slider, a.
- The graph traced by A’ is said to be the inverse of the exponential function. How will you write the equation of of the inverse of exponential functions? If someone will ask you what an inverse of a function is, what will you tell him/her based on this activity?
You may also want to explore the inverse of linear and quadratic functions. Just click the links. For teaching ideas, read What is an inverse function?
[iframe https://math4teaching.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/inverse_of_exponential_function.html 700 650]