Objective: To determine the inverse of a linear function
- Type y = x in the input bar then press enter.
- Click the REFLECT button in the tool bar. Click point A and then the line y = x.
- Drag A. Describe the path of point A’. You can right click A’ and choose TRACE. What equation will describe the line traced by A’?
- You can click the REFRESH icon to start your construction. You can change the given line by moving the slider, a.
- The line traced by A’ is the inverse of the function represented by the line. If someone will ask you what an inverse of a function is, what will you tell him/her based on this activity.
For ideas on how to teach inverse function, read my post What is inverse function?